Minister of Domestic Affairs
|Minister of Domestic Affairs of the|
Social Liberal Union
Seal of the Ministry of Domestic Affairs
|Executive Branch of the SLU Government|
|Term length||No fixed term;|
until successor elected following Delegate election
|Constituting instrument||SLU Constitution (May 2017–)|
Various Acts of Parliament (Jun 2011–May 2017)
|Formation||25 June 2011|
|This article is part of a series on the|
|Government and Politics|
Social Liberal Union
The Minister of Domestic Affairs of the Social Liberal Union (sometimes referred to as MoDA) is an office that came into existence with the passage of the Regional Administration and Governance Act in 2012, and eventually became a constitutional office under the Third Constitution in 2017. For information on their Ministry, see Ministry of Domestic Affairs. For information regarding their Deputy, see Deputy Minister of Domestic Affairs.
The powers and duties of the Minister of Domestic Affairs are mainly outlined in Article 6 of the Constitution. The Minister of Domestic Affairs is a member of the Administration and of the Cabinet. Furthermore, the Constitution establishes the Minister of Domestic Affairs as the presiding officer of the Ministry of Domestic Affairs.
The Minister of Domestic Affairs holds an ex officio seat on the Law Commission.
Express constitutional powers and responsibilities of the Minister of Domestic Affairs include:
- Conducting regional activities, stimulating regional activity and Member State involvement, and boosting regional morale.
- Prosecuting States for public offences, and representing of the government in civil matters in the Court of Justice. (The Minister of Domestic Affairs may delegate this authority to and appoint an Attorney General, which shall handle such affairs in consultation with the Minister, the Delegate, and the Cabinet)
- Maintaining and enforcing standards of decency, as provided for by law, in places such as the regional forum, website, and message board
- Maintaining the regional World Factbook Entry
- Maintaining the regional forum or website (except of portions thereof under the control of the Speaker of the Union or the Chancellor)
- Managing polls and creating a welcome telegram, in consultation with the Delegate