Comprehensive Union Defense Act
|Comprehensive Union Defense Act|
|Enacted by||Open Parliament|
|Date enacted||16 July 2017|
|Introduced on||28 June 2017|
|Voting began||6 July 2017|
|Required majority||Simple majority|
|Vote results||12 Yea, 1 Nay, 0 Abstain|
|Status: In force|
This Act establishes proper programs, procedures, and protocol to insure the security of, and establish a proper defense of, the Social Liberal Union.
- 1 Article 1. Combined Union Security Agency
- 2 Article 2. Regional Security Warning Level System and Regional Password
- 3 Article 3. Backup Region Governance and Continuity of Government
- 3.1 Section 1. Designation of Backup Region and Founder Account
- 3.2 Section 2. Access to the Founder Account
- 3.3 Section 3. Conduct While Using the Founder Account
- 3.4 Section 4. Activation Mechanism
- 3.5 Section 5. Pre-activation Procedures
- 3.6 Section 6. Post-activation Procedures
- 3.7 Section 7. Founder Account After Activation
- 3.8 Section 8. Continuity of Government
Article 1. Combined Union Security Agency
Section 1. Establishment and Mission
The Combined Union Security Agency (CUSA) is hereby established, to be subject to the authority of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with the purpose of conducting intelligence and counter-intelligence operations, in defense of the Social Liberal Union, and the values the Union is based upon.
Section 2. Administration of the CUSA
The CUSA shall be led by a Director and Assistant Director, to be appointed by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, and approved by the Delegate, and they shall hold such office during the pleasure of the Minister of Foreign Affairs. The Director and Assistant director shall work in tandem to organize and execute any operation deemed necessary, unless otherwise prohibited by law.
Section 3. Agents
The Director shall appoint no more than 4 Agents, to serve the CUSA in any way required by this Act, the Delegate, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, or the Director. These Agents shall be confirmed by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, and they shall hold such office during the pleasure of the Director .
Section 4. Reports
The CUSA shall, upon the request of the Minister of Foreign Affairs or the Delegate, issue a report of their activities and their findings, which may be shared with the Administration. Any urgent information should be delivered directly to the Administration as soon as possible.
Section 5. Secrecy
The details of CUSA operations, CUSA reports, and discussions related to said reports shall remain classified, unless the injunction of secrecy is lifted by order of the Cabinet, the Delegate, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, or by law.
Article 2. Regional Security Warning Level System and Regional Password
Section 1. Establishment and Levels
The Regional Security Warning Level System is hereby established, to monitor, record, and display the perceived threat to the Social Liberal Union. The following are the Regional Security Warning Levels and the effects of each warning level on the actions of officers of the the Social Liberal Union related to security-related ejections and bans:
- Clause 1. Green: No threat to the region; Only the Delegate and Ministers may eject; Only ejections of Non-Member States are allowed.
- Clause 2. Yellow: Minor threat; Only the Delegate and Ministers may eject or ban; Non-Member States may be banned; Member States may only be ejected.
- Clause 3. Orange: Clear risk; Only the Delegate and Ministers may eject or ban; All questionable states may be banned.
- Clause 4. Red: Invasion; All Regional Officers with appropriate authority may eject or ban; All questionable states may be banned.
Section 2. Increasing or Decreasing of the Warning Level
The Regional Security Warning Level can be increased or decreased with the assent of at least three of following officers, and may only be downgraded after at least 24 hours of decreased concern have passed: the Delegate, the Speaker of the Union, the Founder, the Minister of Domestic Affairs, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Minister of Immigration, and the CUS Director.
Section 3. Regional Password
When necessary for the security of the Social Liberal Union, a regional password may be instated for a term lasting no longer than 72 hours, and, may be removed earlier than that, with the assent of at least three of the following officers: the Delegate, the Speaker of the Union, the Chancellor, the Founder, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, and the Minister of Immigration. Any extensions beyond the original 72 hours, shall require separate approval from at least 3 of the aforementioned officers again.
Section 4. Parliamentary Oversight and Compliance
When increasing or decreasing the Regional Security Warning Level, or, when instating or removing a regional password under this Act, at least one of the assenting officers must publicly notify the Open Parliament of their action. The Regional Security Warning Level may be lowered and a regional password ordered to be removed, with a Resolution of Parliament to that effect. Willful failure to do so within 24 hours may result in prosecution of all of the assenting officers for a class 3 offence.
- Clause 1. Any State which refuses to comply with a duly-passed Resolution of Parliament to remove a regional password or to lower the Regional Security Warning Level, may subject to prosecution for a class 5 offence.
Section 5. Abuse of Warning Level System
Any State which intentionally abuses the Regional Security Warning Level System, by either keeping it too high or too low for a period of time, may be subject to prosecution for a class 4 offence, or, a class 5 offence if it resulted in an actual invasion. Any State convicted under this Section shall forever be ineligible to assent decisions under Section 2 to 3 of this Act, unless waived by a Resolution of Parliament to that effect.
Article 3. Backup Region Governance and Continuity of Government
Section 1. Designation of Backup Region and Founder Account
The region named "The Social Liberal Union" shall be the designated backup region, and the founder account of said region is named "Government of the Social Liberal Union."
Section 2. Access to the Founder Account
Ainland, the duly-elected Delegate, the duly-elected Speaker of the Union, and the duly-elected Chancellor shall have access to the founder account of the backup region.
- Clause 1. The aforementioned officers shall designate one among themselves to change the password, and distribute the new password to all of the others via a secure method of communication outside of the NationStates website, immediately following the election of a successor, removal or suspension from office, or resignation of any one of them.
- Clause 2. Any State which enters or attempts to enter the backup region's founder account without being authorized by law, may be subject to prosecution for a class 5 offence.
- Clause 3. Any State which unlawfully changes the password of the backup region's founder account to prevent, hinder, or delay its lawful use, may be subject to prosecution for a class 6 offence.
Section 3. Conduct While Using the Founder Account
While logged into the shared founder account, the officers with access shall not perform any action that is illegal under the NationStates rules, or would otherwise risk the deletion of the shared founder account by NationStates moderators.
- Clause 1. The shared founder account shall never be a member of the World Assembly.
- Clause 2. The officers with access shall take great care to log out each time after using the founder account, and shall take all reasonable precautions to safeguard its password.
- Clause 3. Any State whose unlawful action(s) result in the deletion of the founder account may be subject to prosecution for a class 6 offence.
Section 4. Activation Mechanism
The backup region may only be activated when a catastrophic event has occurred, or is imminent. In order to activate the backup region, the Open Parliament must pass a Resolution to that effect.
- Clause 1. The Cabinet may request explicit permission from the Speaker of the Union or the Chancellor to exclude certain States from voting on the Resolution if they are reasonably suspected of being invaders, spies, or saboteurs.
Section 5. Pre-activation Procedures
The backup region shall remain password-protected while the region is not activated. The officers with access to the founder account and current members of the Cabinet may keep dormant puppet states in the backup region.
Section 6. Post-activation Procedures
Upon the activation of the backup region, the duly-elected Delegate shall assume control over the backup region’s delegacy as soon as possible, and a majority of the Cabinet may require that any World Assembly Resident State that enters must endorse the lawful Delegate or be ejected, for no longer than 30 days after activation. The backup region’s delegacy may be made non-executive until the lawful delegate can securely assume office, and, the region may be kept password protected and the password distributed to known Member States, for no longer than 10 days after activation, if determined necessary by a majority of the Cabinet.
Section 7. Founder Account After Activation
The officers with access to the founder account shall perform administrative acts, in accordance with lawful orders from the Delegate, Speaker of the Union, Cabinet, Court of Justice, Open Parliament, or according to law. Willful failure to comply with a lawful order under this Section, may result in prosecution for a level 5 offence.